Monday, November 26, 2007

Put Down the Cookie and No One Gets Hurt!


I joined Weight Watchers almost four weeks ago. So far, I have actually managed to lose a little weight, 5 pounds to be exact, which isn't much, but at least a step in the right direction. I did fine the first week, the second week was harder. The third week I didn't have weigh in, thanks to being out of town for a family reunion. However, a little bout with stomach yuck may have helped there.

My dear husband is trying to be supportive in his own way. Stressed and frustrated I asked for a cookie one night. He knows I am on a point system. He brought me one quarter sized cookie. I was offended. Is one tiny cookie all I am worth? I wasn't even thinking diet - I wanted cookies! Being one person fighting the tide of mess and disaster that occurs on a daily basis around this house, sometimes I eat my way to feeling "better". Of course, this is only a temporary better as when I next step on the scale or try to button my pants, that feeling of "better" turns into something a bit less, well, let's just say - less better.

So, I am sitting on the floor feeling stressed and frustrated and my darling other half is proffering me the requested, albeit, tiny cookie. I know this dinky piece of fat, cholesterol, sugar, coconut, chocolate, graham and empty calories is not going to be enough to tackle the overwhelming mental and emotional YICK I am feeling. I pout. With a whine to challenge even my three year old's ability, I express my feelings regarding the lack of more cookies. My husband responds with "I didn't know how many points they were." He is paying attention! He cares about something that I am trying to undertake! Do I thank him? Do I profess my undying love towards him for supporting me? NO! I demand more cookies! I swear, I probably turned blue and furry and sounded like the monster from Sesame Street "Cooooooooookiiieeeesssss!" "I don't care about points right now!" He replies with "well, you should." He sticks to his guns and only leaves me with the one miniscule cookie. I head to the pantry to gather more - apparantly, a cookie craving mama has to fend for her own emotional needs. I eat two more, I really don't know how many points they end up being, I really don't care. However, I did notice, they didn't taste as good as I thought they would. I haven't had a cookie since.

Hi, my name is Julia, and I'm a cookieholic. It's been 2 weeks, 4 days, 17 hours and 23 minutes since my last cookie . . . .

***Originally posted June 11, 2006

No comments: